Teachable Moments

By Tom Conway, 2016


The arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends towards justice, though Jeremiah was late to class because he had to sweep the bus.

“People were throwing stuff at me. Cereal and stuff.”

“You mean, you were throwing stuff and got caught?” 

(I’ve taught 7th grade for 10 years.  My skepticism is justified.)

“They were throwing stuff at me. I didn’t throw any back.”

“But you had to sweep the bus. Why?  Who was throwing stuff?”

Jeremiah shrugged, apparently not inclined to say. 

“You’re not going to tell me?  You had to sweep the bus because some other idiots were throwing stuff, but you’re not going to tell me who?”

He shrugged.

“Why? Are you scared of them?” 

“No. I told the bus driver who did it.” 

“And what did she do?” 

“I had to sweep the bus.” 

Comments